I think it’s safe to say, “Happy Fall Y’all” in Texas.
The cooler weather finally decided to come knocking at the door, and when I say cooler weather I really mean a temperature drop to 80 degree weather instead of 99 degrees. Southern girls get a little ahead of ourselves this time of year, there must be something in our DNA wired for fall fantasies. When the first sign of pumpkins are out and the first leaf falls, we automatically go into crazy fall mode, complete with a PSL in hand (pumpkin spice latte).
So here I am, baking in the kitchen and thinking of all things ‘Fall’. I have pumpkins on the brain, chopped apples in the mixing bowl, and cinnamon candles burning in the kitchen. What is it about fall that makes us so giddy to bake our hearts out silly?
It might be the sweet smell of apple spice, it could be the heart warming scent of pumpkin pie perhaps it might even be the sensational taste of warm apple cider warming you to the core. Yes, it’s all of that and more. It’s the promise of mother nature that the sweltering summer is coming to a close and life is renewed in color.
Finding recipes that combine health conscience ideals with a bold taste is easier than you think. It has everything to do with the ingredients and making them as purely simple as possible. That is why this simple, yet deliciously fresh tasting oatmeal bar is a perfect fit for those of us who want to remain the health nut yet still have that yummy fall-themed dessert.
I hope you enjoy the first of many ‘Healthy Chew’ fall recipes
- 3 small apples or 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced apples
- 1 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and prepare a square baking dish (8″ x 8″).
- In a food processor, grind 1/2 cup of oats until it becomes similar to a flour texture.
- Begin by slicing the apples into thin pieces, chopping them into pieces smaller than 1″ x 1″.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the oatmeal flour, 1 cup of rolled oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk together until everything is incorporated.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the sliced apple pieces, brown sugar and apple sauce. Toss together until all the apples are equally coated.
- Pour the flour mixture into the apples and mix together well. After the apples are well coated with the oat flour mixture, pour into the baking dish.
- Using a flat spatula, pat the oatmeal apple dough down so that the surface is even. The dough should hug the sides of the baking dish with no dips or gaps in the dough.
All photos taken in this article were taken by and for ‘The Healthy Chew’
-All Rights Reserved
Happy Fall Y’all and
Like This Post?
Share it on Facebook!
Follow me on Pinterest! @The Healthy Chew
Follow me on Instagram! @TheHealthyChew
Follow me on YouTube! @The Healthy Chew
Comment your questions!
email me at StephanieRackley@thehealthychew.org