I don’t know about you but here in the Rackley household, we tend to be a little uncreative when it comes to breakfast time. I personally like to start out the day with something that leaves me feeling good, you know like something healthy and contains quite a bit of protein. Most days, that leaves us with the slim option of eggs & toast or oatmeal with fruit & almond butter. Don’t get me wrong, we love pancakes, waffles, muffins, and tarts too- but those are reserved for the special occasions.
One morning I had had enough of the same ol’ breakfast menu and went searching in the fridge for something to spark my interest. We still had a lot of eggs and plenty of left over veggies that needed to be used up, so I began to chop, dice, slice and sauté.
My first attempt included a crust, which if you don’t mind me saying..was pretty delicious. But after reducing the amount of calories and coming up with something a bit more healthy, considering my mission in life, I reconsidered the crust that used 10 Tbsp of butter (GASP!).
- 9 eggs
- 1 tsp olive oil + more for dish
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- ~8 broccoli florets sliced
- 1 cup chopped potato
- 3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 2 tsp fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit, while warming, prepare an 8″ x 8″ or 9″ x 9″ round baking dish.
- Using a whisk and large bowl, scramble the 9 eggs together. Set aside for later.
- In a skillet over medium heat, use the olive oil to sauté the onions and bell peppers together.
- When slightly soft, add in the broccoli and mushroom slices. Sauté until just slightly soft.
- Pour the veggies into the raw scrambled eggs and fold together. Add the salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary and chives and gently mix until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the prepared round dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes, the middle should not jiggle when shaken.
- Let the frittata sit for ~5 minutes before serving. Best served warm.
*Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week with a cover on top.
This is an original Healthy Chew recipe – all rights reserved.
All photos were taken by and for The Healthy Chew – all rights reserved.
Like This Post?
Share it on Facebook!
Follow me on Pinterest! @The Healthy Chew
Follow me on Instagram! @TheHealthyChew
Follow me on YouTube! @The Healthy Chew
Comment your questions!
email me at StephanieRackley@thehealthychew.org