Come on Summer, you’re almost here! I can almost taste you. The sweetness from the summer’s abundant fruit offerings to the zesty zing of fresh squeezed lime juice. To me, Summer means longer days, lighter meals, and fresher ingredients. To me, Summer is a way of life, it’s what us southerners dream of during the cold winter months.
I tend to cook lighter meals during the summer, swapping out heavy ingredients with fresh fruits and vegetables. It just seems natural to me, cooking and blending the ingredients that are full of flavor and bursting with nutritious benefits. It’s what gives my dishes a Healthier Chew.
I’ll admit, I cheat with my shrimp ceviche, I cook my shrimp and add it to the mixture instead of going fully raw. I enjoy the taste a little bit better, knowing I have cooked any potential pathogens out (I’ve taken enough food bacteriology and microbiology classes to scare me for a lifetime). Beyond that, this recipe is so simple to make, you’ll be craving (and eating) it every week during the summer months. It’s the combination of fresh, cool, crisp, and tasty that will have every one of your taste buds begging for more. Go ahead, it’s full of good nutrition and healthy protein. Top it off with some sliced up avocado and you’ve got yourself a wonderful meal.
Say hello to Summer, say hello to my shrimp ceviche lettuce wraps
Serves about 6 medium sized lettuce wraps
- 10-15 jumbo raw shrimp
- 1 small pat of butter or tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Lemon Pepper seasoning
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- Zest and juice from 1 lime
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Lettuce wraps
- In a small sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the raw shrimp and season with the lemon pepper. Cook for about 5-10 minutes or until the shrimp begins to curl and turns pink.
- After the shrimp is done cooking, chop each shrimp into 4 little pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, add the bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, shrimp pieces and lime zest & juice. Toss to combine well.
- Top with the avocado cubes.
- When serving, use lettuce wraps to contain the ceviche like a taco.
Download a copy of this recipe for your kitchen!
This is an original Healthy Chew recipe, all rights reserved.
All photos used were taken by and for The Healthy Chew, all rights reserved.
Want More Like This Post?
Pin it on PINTEREST! @The Healthy Chew
Follow me on INSTAGRAM for inspiration! @TheHealthyChew
Follow me on YOUTUBE for cooking demos! @The Healthy Chew
Have questions, email me at StephanieRackley@thehealthychew.org