If you’re looking for an easy week day meal, look no further than my recipe right here. This recipe is one of my staples when I have left over vegetables and no idea where to put them. The wonderful news about this dish is the endless possibilities you can create with a little bit of paella rice, some veggies, and a little protein.
On most days, I usually use paella rice such as bomba or a Spanish rice but in reality any long grain rice will work. For the recipe in the photos, I used a rice-shaped pasta called orzo. Orzo contains more starch molecules (amylopectin) and makes a dish that resembles more of a Risotto or pasta dish. This was my first time using smoked sausage as the protein, it turned out really tasty and savory! Usually, I will add shrimp or another form of seafood, not only boosting the flavor but the nutrition profile as well.
If you have other veggies to throw in the dish, go for it! Most of the time I will add broccoli, red bell pepper, tomatoes, spinach and or anything else in the refrigerator that entices me. Now I am kicking myself for not adding more vegetables. Darn. You can never have too many vegetables. Ever.
- 32 oz Chicken Broth
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- ~6 white button mushrooms sliced
- 3/4 cup orzo or arborio rice
- Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper for taste
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 4 sausage links sliced into rounds (I used fully cooked smoked sausage)
- In a small sauce pot, heat the chicken broth over low heat. Add the sweet paprika and mix until combined. Leave the chicken broth on the lowest setting, keeping it warm for the remainder of the recipe.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic once the pan is warmed.
- When the onions begin to cook down slightly, add the orzo or arborio rice. Mix the orzo around, coating it with the oil in the pan for about 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of the warmed chicken broth into the sauté pan, mixing around all the combined ingredients.
- Add the chopped bell pepper.
- When the rice begins to soak up the liquid and it becomes slightly dry, add an additional cup of warmed broth to the sauté pan. Add the sliced mushrooms at this time.
- Add the sea salt and freshly ground pepper (amount desired), cayenne, and turmeric to the dish while stirring to prevent sticking. When the rice starts to soak up the liquid again, add an additional cup of the warmed broth.
- Add the sliced sausage and continue to stir to prevent sticking. Cover the lid and let sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Taste test, if the rice is not yet cooked to your desired consistency, add an additional cup of warmed broth. Cover and let the rice continue to soak in more liquid.
Like This Post?
Share it on Facebook!
Follow me on Pinterest! @The Healthy Chew
Follow me on Instagram! @TheHealthyChew
Follow me on YouTube! @The Healthy Chew
Comment your questions!
email me at StephanieRackley@thehealthychew.org
4 Comments Add yours
Great recipe ocean spoon girl delicious
I’m going to try some of thnx Stephanie. God bless you! And lake fork guy.